I spent the afternoon studying at Starbucks for a change of scenery and walked around Chapters when I was done studying - I had a book I was specifically looking for as a gift for someone. Anyway, when I got home I was looking at the Chapters website and you can search by Canadian authors! Who would have thought some of my favourite kids' books were written by Canadians?! Check out the links below if you're interested in any of them.
1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Fave. The end.
2. The Sky is Falling by Kit Pearson. This is a trilogy (you probably know it), and it is one of my favourites! It follows two children who move to Canada from England during the second world war. Age group 9 - 12.
3. The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs by Phoebe Gilman. The follow up to the wonderful "Jillian Jiggs." Such a great kids' story book. I recited it when I auditioned for the drama production in grade nine.
4. Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker. We read this in elementary school. It's the story of a little girl who escapes slavery via the underground railroad to Canada.
5. The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis. A girl in Afghanistan and her story of oppression and daily life. I read this in middle school. There is a sequel and perhaps even a third...
6. Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel. A very unique book told through the eyes of a bat, detailing his adventures. Very creative and fun to read. I love love love it! Age group 9 - 12. There are two others, I think...Sunwing and Firewing. Both also good.
7. Jacob Two-two Meets the Hooded Fang by Mordecai Richler. I'm not sure I've actually read this book but I know my brother used to have it and it's definitely a classic so I had to include it!
8. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Any Robert Munsch book, really, but this one is so sweet. How can you not cry when you read it?
9. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. A board book for babies! Should be on every book shelf.
10. The Baby Project by Sarah Ellis. This has some serious subject matter so I would recommend for grade seven or eight. A young girl finds out her parents are expecting a new baby and it's quite a surprise. It's her struggle to find her place in the family and has quite a sad ending.
Those are my top ten kids books by Canadians! I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I found quickly.