Wednesday 2 December 2015

OATMEAL SOUFFLE

I was visiting my friend F two years ago and her mom made us a very fancy breakfast of oatmeal souffles. It felt so sophisticated and civilized (and was so nice of her)! This weekend I was feeling a little ambitious and thought I would try to make it myself.

I've always heard souffles are fairly difficult so I was pretty excited it was easier than I thought. Of course the thing is... they "fall" once they start to cool. When they first come out of the oven they're a beautiful towering creation and a few minutes later they start to sink. But boy are they cute before they fall! So I think if you were serving them at a dinner party (or in this case a brunch) the key would be to have everyone seated and ready to admire their souffle immediately out of the oven.

When the timer dinged I warned hubby we had to rush to get photos before the souffles fell. We were a well oiled machine. I grabbed them from the oven, put them on the plates he was holding, ran them to our butcherblock, and had the camera ready to go with the lens cap already off.


I used this recipe (how many times can I say pinterest has literally never failed me,) and I quartered it to make two servings. This involved a fair amount of math (as hubby said, "There's some pretty serious fractions going on over here,") but it turned out just fine. My ramekins are really like a two person serving so I made one gigantic portion for the two of us to share. The only alteration I made to the recipe was I used only milk since I didn't have any cream on hand (and I feel terribly guilty consuming cream). I did use a dash of rum and liked the flavour but it would be equally good without it. Warning: measure out the ingredients and have them organized and ready to go because you have to work quite fast. My stand up mixer is such a superstar and really helps at times like this.

This would be perfect for Christmas morning breakfast if you're feeling up for a little challenge! Hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe dear!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete