Thursday 24 May 2012

GRANOLA

Currently I'm back on "the wagon", if you know what I mean.  I'm just a running up a storm, eating fruit and veggies like they're going out of style, stretching every night...  The wagon is not a fun place to be.  :)

I kid; I kid.  The wagon can be okay if you make the best of it.  For instance, Leroy is getting lots of exercise on our almost daily jogs.  Yesterday we ran 5.6 km (and then we died a little when we got home).  Do you know what kind of food people "on the wagon" eat??  They eat granola!  So Leroy and I decided now was as good a time as any to try out this recipe I found on the Cupcakes and Cashmere blog (and she found here).


You'll need: vegetable oil, rolled oats, maple syrup, (I also used honey), brown sugar, shredded coconut, (I used unsweetened), slivered almonds, any other nuts you may want, and raisins.  I had a few pecans and walnuts in the cupboard from other baking projects, so I used those up.  And the recipe calls for 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup, but I used half maple syrup and half honey.  The recipe also calls for salt, which I rarely add to anything, but strangely I decided to follow the directions this time.  I probably wouldn't add the salt next time.  You just don't need it, people.


The recipe is very simple.  Once everything is mixed together, spread evenly over baking sheets.  The granola filled two of my cookie sheets.


I knew before I started this was going to be a semi-difficult project just because it's the type of thing that can burn easily.  I swear I have the hottest oven on earth because it seems to burn everything!  I never had this problem when I lived at my parents' house.  Since every oven is different, keep a close eye on your granola!  The food network told me it should take an hour and a half to cook the granola but in my oven, it only took 45 minutes tops!  To be honest, I should have taken it out a couple of minutes sooner (although it's still fine).  The moral of the story...stir every fifteen minutes and be vigilant!


After it has cooled you can add raisins (if you like them).  Then enjoy!  I like to eat my granola with yogurt although I'm sure there are more creative ways to eat it.  Maybe I'll eat it as plain old cereal.  I'm crazy like that.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment