Monday 3 June 2013

CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SHORTBREAD COOKIES

There's something you should know about me... I never stray from a recipe.

Even though I would consider myself at least somewhat creative, the other part of me is such a rule follower that I have a hard time adding a pinch of this or that if the recipe doesn't call for it.  So the other day when I had a brain wave for a new shortbread cookie recipe, it was a rare moment, let me tell you.

I had crushed a bunch of hazelnuts in our mini food processor earlier that morning and knew it was going to take me forever to use them up if I only put them in my smoothies.  I thought, "Why not mix some into shortbread dough?"  And then I thought, "Why not chop up some chocolate chips in the food processor too?  Make a day of it?"


Here's what you do:

Use a food processor to grind up some hazelnuts.  You won't need very many.  (You can always chop them up, too.  I used to do that before a kind soul gave us their old food processor.  You'll want to chop them up very finely if you are using a knife.)
Again, use said food processor to grind up some chocolate chips.  I used milk and dark chocolate.  Just a little handful of each.

I made my mom's shortbread cookies (and I actually halved this recipe because I don't like to have 50 cookies in the house all at once):

1 cup of softened butter
1/2 cup of icing sugar
2 cups of flour
Vanilla

Mix up the cookie dough, add the hazelnuts and most of the chocolate.  Leave some chocolate for the end.  Then, rather than roll out dough and use cookie cutters (like I would normally do for shortbread), I rolled them into small balls and made a thumbprint in the middle.  Bake at 325 for around 14 minutes.  When they are just out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining chocolate on the cookie so it will melt/stick there.

Voila.  A (simple) new creation.  I thought of that.  They were pretty good, too.  A nice little change from regular shortbread cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment